Monday, December 12, 2011

How to buy a video card?

I just brought a new computer but the graphics isn't even good enough to play Warhammer: Mark Of Chaos! The graphics is intergrated so can I still buy a video card for this? And I went to go look at some video cards and there is so many choices that I don't have a clue where to start! Time has really changed in 5 years. Anyways I'm going to call HP tomorrow and I was wondering... What information should I ask HP for so I'll know how to buy a video card on my own?How to buy a video card?
If the graphic card is integrated , by my knowledge , YES! , you can add a video card.

First of all , see if your motherboard supports PCI Express X16 cards , but , by guessing , I think it uses the AGP technology. Even if it supports PCI-E , it works at 4x , so no good . I suggest buying ATI Radeon 2600 XT , one of the best AGP cards I know.How to buy a video card?
You need to know whether your motherboard has a PCI-Express graphics card slot, and how many, along with what wattage your power supply can deliver. You can find that yourself with some hunting, but if you're calling the manufacturer anyway you may as well save yourself the trouble. If you still want to, you can just open up your computer, power supply should be a cube-ish metal box on the top in the rear, though some cases are different, and the wattage will be on the sticker, but finding the motherboard specs can be a pain if you don't know what you're looking for to actually count the slots.

Also, make sure you have enough cooling for a high-end card, there's reallly no guideline for that though.



Once you know what you can take, I'd recommend an NVidia card over ATX, their drivers tend to work better.
First of all, check to make sure that you can disable the integrated video on your motherboard and that you have the capability of adding a graphics card.

Then you need to know what the physical connection type is. It will be AGP or PCI-Express. They are specific graphic card connector types. If you don't have those, you have to use a regular PCI card (often found on crappy Dell computers - now you know why they're cheap).

There are plenty of mail order companies to order your card from. HP will be expensive.

What computer / motherboard do you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment