Sunday, November 21, 2010

What should I do to fix my computer? Replace the video card?

My screen is displaying vertical bands and line over everything, which flicker and change colors. The mouse also leaves pixellated trails behind when it moves.The monitor is fine, I tried another one and still had the problem. When I jar or move the actual computer though, the lines change radically, so I'm assuiming its a hardware problem. My question is, what should my next course of action be. Should I replace the video card? How?What should I do to fix my computer? Replace the video card?
In my opinion it certainly sounds like a video card issue.

If you are comfortable with opening the case the first thing I would do is look at is the card itself. Be sure to unplug the power cord and touch some metal on the case to ground yourself then visually inspect the video card to ensure it is properly seated in it's slot AND that the power cable (if your card needs one) is properly seated, maybe even try a different power connector. I would also look at the connection between the monitor and the card to ensure it is not loose (the cable might not be plugged in completely OR the connector on the card might actually be coming lose from the board).



On my systems I always put the part in a know good system and put a known good part in the problem system before calling said part dead. I've seen hardware do strange things for no reason at all in some machines.



If all else fails... You'll get to have a smokin' new video card! (Go ATI)What should I do to fix my computer? Replace the video card?
If i was you, I would use trial and error, I would take out the video card, replace it with another one..

and I would test it out if it keeps flickering or not..

if it does not flicker at all, then your In luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment