Sunday, November 14, 2010

How do I change out my graphics card? Please use simple words.?

I have an old NT I've borrowed and I believe changing the video card will help a lot. It was ungraded to XP Professional. The old card is an S3 Graphics ProSavage DDR. My new card is an Nvidia GeForce fx5500. Do I take the old one out? I'm lost.How do I change out my graphics card? Please use simple words.?
OK. First download the drivers here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winnt_77.72



These are for the FX5500 on NT4. Make sure that the connection type is suitable. Is the FX5500 an AGP card?



Look at the motherboard connector where the existing card is located and compare the socket into which you will be installing the new one. Is it the same type?

With the computer off and the power cord removed, press the on switch for a few seconds, then remove the old card and have a real good look at the gold connector pins. Yr SURE the new one is the same?

Good.



Remove the old drivers in the NT control panel (it's been a wee while since I've used NT). It should be under Add/Remove programs...



Shut the computer down and ground yrself on the metal chassis to dissipate any static charge and remove the case panel. Take out the old card and pop in the new one. Push firmly home and pop the case panel back on.



After booting, you will need to install the drivers for the card that you had previously downloaded and left handily on the desktop.



That should be it!



Good luck.



:-)How do I change out my graphics card? Please use simple words.?
This isn't something you should do yourself. Let a professional do it. Too many things can go wrong.
From what i can get is that yours is a AGV ~Quite old ~S3 Graphics ProSavage DDR and your Nvidia GeForce fx5500 is a Pci graphic card ..

the notches or pins are not the same and therefore your new graphic card will not fit into your old computer ..i'm sorry .. try upgrading ur computer .. it is about 2 generations out of date ..yes u still can use ur new graphics card but now the technology has approached 1 GB of graphics card processors as well as it comes with HD and i'll bet u get better more detail movies from current tecnology then to go back and use stone age technology ...

No comments:

Post a Comment