Sunday, November 14, 2010

Can I change the amount of memory my video card uses?

I have a ASUS G1S-A1 laptop with a Nvidia 8600GT video card, which has 256MB of onboard memory. I was wondering if there is any way to allocate some of my system memory for the video card? Would this make my video card slower, or would it be worth it? If it is possible to do it, how?Can I change the amount of memory my video card uses?
Yes, you could add more but it's not worth it. The Ram memory is far too slow, in the end it may even degrade the performance.Can I change the amount of memory my video card uses?
i'd say naw
Video cards are extremely demanding on system memory.

Not only do you need to upgrade your system memory...but depending on what games you are running, you may need to upgrade the video component to one with a higher amount of memory...256MB of system memory ain't gonna cut it.

With a laptop, it is easier to upgrade the system memory than to upgrade the video component.
Yes, but you have to over clock the graphics card which is really hard and you should probably not do it at home. You have to open it up and solder some wires onto the card to a memory stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment